Thursday, April 13, 2006

Easter in Charleston

I'm leaving today to go to Charleston, again, to spend Easter with my Mother and try to get her new email sorted out. She has clung to AOL (ugh) until I convinced her to get DSL. Now she has to learn something new and she resists it. I told her it was the best thing for her brain to learn, as per research on the elderly. That was probably the thing that convinced her to try it out.

It is beautiful here. My big beautiful purple iris are blooming and the burgundy iris are not far behind. The Confederate jasmine will soon pop and then the front garden will be heady with scent. It is supposed to be 90 degrees on Easter - hope it will be cooler in Charleston. I dread those 90's. But most of the plants will come along well. Except the poor lovely little pansies.

I am driving up with my buddy Linda. That will make the trip go faster. Linda is a hoot. She really makes me laugh. We will take my car, as gas prices are pushing the $2.80's per gallon.

Best thing is I am leaving before the sacred Easter dinner. I really tried to convince Mother to GO OUT, so there would be more time to visit and less drudgery in the kitchen, but she is SET on it. It's not the dinner that I am glad to miss, but the time spent with my brother, who appears to have a pretty bad grudge against me right now. Sad thing is that I only know this via my mother's report. He has said nothing to me personally of his anger! Like the hate mail, that free-floating unacknowledged anger makes me terribly uneasy. Wish I could slough it off!

I have no wish to ramble here, so I'll leave anymore for later.

3 comments:

Tiger Willikers said...

Greetings to you and to Linda as well. I envy you both a Road Trip!! I sent you an e-mail at your household address, but maybe you will see me here, since you are fooling with your mom's computer.

I just happened to write about lifespan and abilities (and (obliquely) my slogging temp life) today (Thursday) on my blog! http://tigerwillikers.blogspot.com/

Tiger Willikers said...

Also, Greetings to your mom!! Happy Easter to all!! Let us all experience the renewal of Spring, or at least the renewal of our warmth-loving Florida bushes, trees and flowers!

Tiger Willikers said...

Except your mom, of course, who will be experiencing the renewal of South Carolina bushes, trees, and flowers!

three on the futon

three on the futon

5th Anniversary of the Stroke

Nearly 5 years ago, I suffered a stroke that left me with numbness and lack of coordination of my right hand and arm. For awhile, I could not speak normally, and I couldn't say my husband's name. With time and occupational and massage therapy, sensation began to return. My speech cleared up within the month. I relearned how to brush my teeth and hair, how to butter toast, how to handle a fork. I used a speech program on the computer for several months, because my right hand could not type. I am very grateful for the lessons I learned from this experience. After 5 years, a person is considered to be at no increased risk of having another CVA (cerebrovascular accident). That's my upcoming milestone!
Thirteen Things about YOUR NAME
1…. Start your list here! Links to other Thursday Thirteens! 1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!