Sunday, April 09, 2006

Would you like a little cheese with your whine?

Ah, no thanks. Things have been cheesy and ripe enough!

Yes, this is going to be a whine. (What happened to positive thinking?) Oh, that! Well, I think some of the negatives need to be released instead of merely pushed below the surface. That is why I am going to VENT yet again! Any who wish not be be covered with the regurgitated contents of my emotions may decide not to read any more!

So, first the wedding gig - yesterday in the hot spring weather, with w-i-n-d off the St. Johns River. I love singing with Jim, but the music was kind of crappy and low for me, though it ended on a high B-flat! Bocelli sings it, I believe - The Prayer. It's okay if you don't know any greater music, but so much less than it could have been! And things ran long, so I was late for my plans with Anthony last night. He was understanding and forgiving, but I felt the undertow of chaos pulling me down! (whine, whine)

Next this morning - singing at the Christian Science Church - and leaving right after the solo, instead of staying till the end so I could rush to Memorial Presbyterian and sing in the Rutter Requiem, which organist/choir director (and my friend) Janet Graham picked out for Palm Sunday 3 months ago, before her incapacitation and death last Thursday from breast cancer. I was okay singing it. Basically, I took over for Kris and Jane when the tessitura went out of their range - another B-flat. And I was okay until the very last piece when the text began to grab at my throat - "They rest from their labors..." all the way up a descending scale to that B-flat - Janet was such a powerhouse - always on the move to make worship a cohesive and organic whole. One of the choir members later asked me if I saw Janet "up there" on the B-flat. That was a cute compliment. I do feel sure that Janet was there, feeling proud of her choir. After the final piece, there was dead silence in the sanctuary for several seconds. Then people actually began to leave in quiet.

Now this stupid ---- gig. I am not putting their name in this post. I still consider if VERY likely that the hate mail came from someone in that organization. Anyway, I have to sing 2 songs - fun stuff - Adele's Laughing Song from Die Fledermaus and the Cavatina from Don Pasquale. I don't know if either of them is really memorized, and I don't really care. The pay is meager and my enthusiasm even less. I think the worst of it is that I feel like I am going unarmed and vulnerable into enemy territory.

There is another thing that is troubling me, too, but I am not sure it is appropriate to discuss it here. Perhaps later. Most of all when you add everything up, it seems like a load of crap has been dumped on me lately. (Whine, whine.) I think it may be a test. I hope I can pass it.

Who used address her readers as "Dear Reader"? I kind of feel I should do that, too. However, I suspect you only number two, and that is comforting. Thank you for listening, or if you tuned out earlier, bless you for your good sense!

1 comment:

Tiger Willikers said...

I've been waiting for an update. What an interesting way to catch up with a friend. You are indeed in the midst of a very busy time. So sad that Janet Graham has died now. She was not very old, and it seems she fought a long time. That alone is enough to wear one down.

I've been thinking a lot about the death of one of our cats, a death that is most likely in the near future, not one that has happened already. And I tell you this because, though I am very sad, and very worried about how Thanksgiving's last days will go, I seem to block these thoughts from the forefront of my consciousness, but have an undercurrent sense of doom, dread, and hopelessness.

Anyway, I think that's what's happening to me. Emotions are so mysterious.

I'm sorry I played a role in your late date on Saturday. My apologies to Anthony as well.

It was so nice to see you today!!

Ta ta for now!!

three on the futon

three on the futon

5th Anniversary of the Stroke

Nearly 5 years ago, I suffered a stroke that left me with numbness and lack of coordination of my right hand and arm. For awhile, I could not speak normally, and I couldn't say my husband's name. With time and occupational and massage therapy, sensation began to return. My speech cleared up within the month. I relearned how to brush my teeth and hair, how to butter toast, how to handle a fork. I used a speech program on the computer for several months, because my right hand could not type. I am very grateful for the lessons I learned from this experience. After 5 years, a person is considered to be at no increased risk of having another CVA (cerebrovascular accident). That's my upcoming milestone!
Thirteen Things about YOUR NAME
1…. Start your list here! Links to other Thursday Thirteens! 1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!