Thursday, February 22, 2007

Music, Music, Music!

JL, JK and NG went to the auditions/adjudications last Saturday and received fabulous reports from the judge, Dr. Krystof Biernacki, head of the Opera and Voice departments at UNF in Jax. I was thrilled and very proud, as he is demanding, and his comments reinforced just what I have been saying to these students all along. They were thrilled too! And, my, oh, my, when I introduced myself, he knew my name! He had heard of the opera company (FCO) and our struggles to survive, as well as our triumphs. This is very gratifying! Most often, we get "There's an opera company in St. Augustine?" Ah, me!

Then, the Captain and I drove to Tampa for Anton Coppola's Sacco and Vanzetti. We stayed in a wonderful small suite, complete with bedroom, sitting room/kitchen, with free wi-fi connection! I almost wished we were staying longer! Probably would have, too, if Alex-Paras had been open on Sunday. I have always had a yen to visit that place!

The opera was fascinating. Coppola is 90 years old. He conducted the piece, which he wrote in his early 80's, for the full 3 and 1/2 hours! I don't know if he is a first generation Italian in America, but he really underscored the immigrant condition, complete with the "what goes around comes around" attitude of the Irish towards the newly-arrived Italians. What was truly inspiring was the depth of the casting. Even the smaller roles were sung well. It was obvious in what high esteem the Tampa crowd holds the Maestro!

2 comments:

Tiger Willikers said...

Mmmm. Alex-Paras. You could have made tooth fairy pillows for every child in the tri-county region. For the future children of your voice students!

Tiger Willikers said...

Plus, I'm so excited that Dr. Biernacki acknowledged FCO! At LAST, some much needed affirmation!

three on the futon

three on the futon

5th Anniversary of the Stroke

Nearly 5 years ago, I suffered a stroke that left me with numbness and lack of coordination of my right hand and arm. For awhile, I could not speak normally, and I couldn't say my husband's name. With time and occupational and massage therapy, sensation began to return. My speech cleared up within the month. I relearned how to brush my teeth and hair, how to butter toast, how to handle a fork. I used a speech program on the computer for several months, because my right hand could not type. I am very grateful for the lessons I learned from this experience. After 5 years, a person is considered to be at no increased risk of having another CVA (cerebrovascular accident). That's my upcoming milestone!
Thirteen Things about YOUR NAME
1…. Start your list here! Links to other Thursday Thirteens! 1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!