Thursday, June 14, 2007

Gardening in NC

I am quite anxious to put my green thumb to work in NC. I restrained myself last trip because I realize that the three weeks before I return would likely doom anything I put in. I'm longing to plant coneflowers and columbine,


lilacs and forsythia , and clematis vines. The propane tank has a trellis of sorts surrounding two sides and might be just the place for a clematis.

When we were there for our birthdays, many of the roses were in bloom - particularly the little red climbers! There were also white, pink, yellow and a lovely peachy pink one with fuschia-colored lips. I've never grown roses. Actually, I feel rather intimidated by them. The previous owners left some fungicide and other rose chemicals. Anybody out there have tips for me? I'm equally afraid of doing too much or too little!
When we were there in May the peonies were in bloom. I've always wanted peonies. I really love the possibilities. And did I mention the asparagus? We didn't harvest it in May because we had no working stove to cook it on. Now, in June, its feathery foliage waves in the breeze!

For the time being, all I can do is plan and dream. But these are pleasant dreams. What I prize most highly is the sweetness and lightness of the air. I'm not fooling myself that it won't be hot there in July and August, but compared with the heavy mantle that is the Florida's humidity and heat, it will be a relief.

1 comment:

Brooke - Little Miss Moi said...

Dear luciluna. Those flowers would make the garden look lovely - I hope you've got a green thumb. I can't grow anything!

three on the futon

three on the futon

5th Anniversary of the Stroke

Nearly 5 years ago, I suffered a stroke that left me with numbness and lack of coordination of my right hand and arm. For awhile, I could not speak normally, and I couldn't say my husband's name. With time and occupational and massage therapy, sensation began to return. My speech cleared up within the month. I relearned how to brush my teeth and hair, how to butter toast, how to handle a fork. I used a speech program on the computer for several months, because my right hand could not type. I am very grateful for the lessons I learned from this experience. After 5 years, a person is considered to be at no increased risk of having another CVA (cerebrovascular accident). That's my upcoming milestone!
Thirteen Things about YOUR NAME
1…. Start your list here! Links to other Thursday Thirteens! 1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!