Wednesday, June 13, 2007

West Asheville, and more....

We are coming to the conclusion that West Asheville, where we are located, is an old community populated by longtime residents and their families. We have made just one set of friends in the cul-de-sac, and they, too, are fairly new residents! The old timers see us and take note of us, but are not friendly.

R & R just moved into a rehabbed house just down the hill from us. They have a 5 year old son. She brought us a plate of cookies on Saturday!

Our most recent trip to Asheville was the week of our birthdays, mine on the 7th and his on the 9th. We had a wonderful time. We hiked three of the four full days I was there - cool, fragrant woodland trails. We drove to Mt. Mitchell - 6684 feet above sea level, and to Mt. Pisgah. Mitchell was very high, with altitude stunted trees and a view for MILES! Both days were beautifully clear, quite rare in these mountains.

On the trail at Mt. Pisgah, inspecting the wild blueberries.

The Captain at an overlook on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Wind-gnarled trees near the summit at Mount Mitchell.

The furniture arrived on my birthday - dressers, nightstands and a sofa table. We had bought a bookstand to house the TV at Target, but after 4 attempts at assembling it, I gave up and asked R to try his hand at it. He installed our towel bars, too, as I left my drill in FL. New dresser and chest.

Roxy came with me this trip. I stopped overnight in Charleston on the way north and she made a good adjustment to the changes. It was a bit harder in Asheville, probably due to having to endure to a second car trip. But ultimately, she made herself completely at home!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Don't expect to make many friends in Asheville. You are a part time resident. You may love the community (as we love Maui), but when it comes down to it you don't really live there, you don't vote there, and you weren't born there. Enjoy it for what it is, but realize that it is hard to participate in a community when you are there for only a few weeks at a time. Just bring your friends!

three on the futon

three on the futon

5th Anniversary of the Stroke

Nearly 5 years ago, I suffered a stroke that left me with numbness and lack of coordination of my right hand and arm. For awhile, I could not speak normally, and I couldn't say my husband's name. With time and occupational and massage therapy, sensation began to return. My speech cleared up within the month. I relearned how to brush my teeth and hair, how to butter toast, how to handle a fork. I used a speech program on the computer for several months, because my right hand could not type. I am very grateful for the lessons I learned from this experience. After 5 years, a person is considered to be at no increased risk of having another CVA (cerebrovascular accident). That's my upcoming milestone!
Thirteen Things about YOUR NAME
1…. Start your list here! Links to other Thursday Thirteens! 1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!