Friday, February 09, 2007

The Test Results

Roxy does NOT have heart worm!!! I am so relieved. Heart worm is a death sentence for a cat. Perhaps they can live for a time, with breathing compromised, but the treatment can be deadly, too.

That means she DOES have asthma. It may be caused by allergies, or the fact that she weighs 23 # 8 oz. Doesn't really matter. I have not tried the treatment yet: When she has an attack, I am supposed to aim my albuterol inhaler into a lunch bag-sized paper bag and spray 4 puffs, they immediately place the bag over her head and hold it!!!! Can you just picture this? The cat is madly backing up and shaking her head. Of course she also gasps, which means she gets some treatment for her breathing! Then the next time I need to open a paper bag, she is g-o-n-e in a flash. It would be very funny if asthma weren't a serious condition!

Since she had the depomedrol (cortisone) shot on Tuesday, she is much better. I haven't heard her cough once, and she has more energy. Those of you who have ever taken cortisone know how quickly it can reduce symptoms.

Okay, now I am off to see the neurologist for a semi-annual recheck. On March 18th it will be 5 years since the stroke that hospitalized me for 5 days. I think I will reward myself with a visit to A Stitch in Time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ha, ha, ha! You must have gone to a dog doctor. They obviously don't know how to treat cats. After years of practice (and treating hundreds of cats as a breeder), I can give a shot or pill a cat or clip most claws by myself, BUT most treatments for cats really take two people. One to hold the cat and one to administer the treatment. I just wonder where you are going to get the third person to hold the paper bag. :-)

Tiger Willikers said...

Very amusing (though not amusing to Roxie, of course) verbal picture! I definitely CAN picture this!!

three on the futon

three on the futon

5th Anniversary of the Stroke

Nearly 5 years ago, I suffered a stroke that left me with numbness and lack of coordination of my right hand and arm. For awhile, I could not speak normally, and I couldn't say my husband's name. With time and occupational and massage therapy, sensation began to return. My speech cleared up within the month. I relearned how to brush my teeth and hair, how to butter toast, how to handle a fork. I used a speech program on the computer for several months, because my right hand could not type. I am very grateful for the lessons I learned from this experience. After 5 years, a person is considered to be at no increased risk of having another CVA (cerebrovascular accident). That's my upcoming milestone!
Thirteen Things about YOUR NAME
1…. Start your list here! Links to other Thursday Thirteens! 1. (leave your link in comments, I’ll add you here!)
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!